Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason takes Manhattan (1989)

A young couple who have just graduated, whom are spending time alone on a boat decided to stop the boat in the middle of Crystal Lake and drop the anchor.

The anchor accidentally hit a snag and rips open an underwater power line that inevitably awakens Jason from his watery tomb.

The next day, the remainder of their classmates set off on a cruise ship to Manhattan for their celebration. As they are taking off, someone decides they want to hitch a ride with the group.
Needless to say to somebody is Jason Voorhees.

Written and directed by Rob Hedden. Starring Peter Mark Richman, Barbara Bingham, Scott Reeves. Jensen Daggett and reprising his role as Jason Voorhees, Kane Hodder.

This movie to me was more of a joke than anything else. Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed it but it did not really feel like a Friday movie to me. I will assume it's due to the fact that the setting is completely different and the small factor that nobody in New York seems to care in any way shape or form that some giant lunatic, wearing a hockey man and wielding a weapon, is walking down the streets.

But thanks to that you do get a few scenes that you can get a good laugh in about. Especially the boxer's death and the street gang trying to start a fight with Jason.

This is probably the one Friday movie that I had seen the most throughout my life and it was not by choice. It just so happened to be what was playing on TV practically every weekend following Nightmare on Elm Street part 3.

I believe it's also a large factor into why I didn't want to ever visit New York when I was younger, thanks to how creepy and careless all the city dwellers were during the whole film.

Other than the random rant about my past, I hated the ending. In my books, it was pure garbage and I've never liked it, not even as a child!

Now with all that being said, I'm rating this a 3 out of 10. Way too many issue with it!

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment, e-mail (horrorshootreviews@gmail.com) or follow us on twitter @horrorshoot!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment