Thursday, January 22, 2015

Tusk (2014)

After finding a delightfully amusing posting on craigslist involving a man with a special request seeking a roommate. Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier decided to build a story out of it for fun on an episode of their ever popular podcast entitled "SModcast".

What happened instead was the creation of a genius screenplay that fully involved the fan's of the show. Kevin Smith simply asked his audience, if you want to see it tweet #WalrusYes if not then #WalrusNo. Plain and simple.

And of course the answer was an overwhelming #WalrusYes!

Starring Michael Parks, Justin Long, Genesis Rodriguez, Haley Joel Osment and Johnny Depp.

Wallace is the lead podcaster on the NOT-SEE Podcast and goes to great lengths to find crazy, unusual and hilarious stories that he can learn about and return home to record his findings while explaining them to his co-host Teddy. After making his way to a city in Manitoba, his lead story goes cold but quickly finds a replacement story that could either make his career or break his soul.

First off, I have to make mention to all the easter eggs in the film for fans of the different podcasts the SModcast radio network have to offer. If you are a fan of either SModcast or Hollywood Babble-ON you will be rolling around in tears laughing.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have to compliment Kevin Smith on the dialogue scene's between Wallace and Howard. They just seemed so natural and sucked me in right away, Park and Long definitely brought both their roles to life and kept me wanting more!

The costume was also something that I was shocked and amazed by but absolutely loved it, it was exactly what it should have been, grotesque, realistic and still capable of showing of Long's emotions even under all the rubber layers and makeup.

And finally, being Canadian and French (no I do not have the Lapointe accent) I could not stop laughing when Johnny Depp's character, Guy Lapointe, came into the film. He was absolutely hilarious throughout his entire time on film.

I was looking forward to this one since I first heard it on the podcast and could not get over not being able to see it in theatre as I did not have a showing anywhere near me. But I held my breath, caught the trailer minutes after it was released online and once again awaited patiently for it to show here in Canada.

I loved every aspect of it's originality and how he pulled this off was even more amazing which makes me appreciate the film more than I probably would have otherwise so I can not give this film anything lower than a 9 out of 10.

Thanks for reading! Fell free to leave a comment, e-mail us or follow us on Twitter!

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment