Monday, January 5, 2015

The Exorcist (1973)

The Exorcist is a 1973 film directed by William Friedkin and was adapted for film from the 1971 book of the same name written by William Peter Blatty.

Starring Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Lee J. Cobb, Linda Blair and Max von Sydow as Father Merrin.

It follows the story of Regan Macneil, a 12 year old girl who has been possessed by a demon and the struggles of her mother and a local Priest to help rid of him in order to save the girl from certain death.

Upon it's release, the film was said to be the scariest movie of all time, a statement that I believe still stands true to this day. It was also subject to mixed reviews from several movie goers as well as critics due to it's graphic nature which lead to several paying customers running out of the theatre in fear as well as several cases of viewers vomiting while in their seats as a reaction to what they were made witness too.

Although reports of these events were making their way around to potential customers, it did nothing to slow down the hype of the film and eventually made over $66 million dollars and taking the second spot for most popular film of the year in 1974.

Over the years there have been several reissues of the film with "never before seen" scene's and C.G.I. add-on's which only made them the film studio richer with each and every new release grossing well over $440 Million Dollars world wide.

I have been obsessed with this film since I had first seen it when I was 12 years old at my friend's birthday party and would be scared shit less for years to come. I could not stop looking for more and more information about the back story behind it, the location of the stairs, the effects on certain cast members and of course all the behind the scene's deaths and accidents.

Nowhere on this planet have I been able to find anything that could even compare to the scare I had experienced that day. And if anybody knows of anything that would match up or at least come close, please do not hesitate and let me know what it is so I may enjoy it for myself.

Without even needing to say it this is the best the genre has to offer as far as I am concerned and most people who are horror fans would have to agree with me This is a guaranteed 10 out of 10 and will not disappoint.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, e-mail or follow us on twitter!

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment