Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Exorcist III (1980)

The final installment of the Exorcist film franchise simply entitled "The Exorcist III" is based on the second novel in the book series entitled "Legion" written by the director and writer of the films screenplay, William Peter Blatty.

Starring George C. Scott, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders, Scott Wilson and Brad Dourif.

The film takes place fifteen years following the events of the first film and follows Detective Kinderman as he investigates a string of murders that appear to part of a series of satanic rituals believed to be linked to an already deceased killer.

Many fans including myself have hailed this as the true sequel to "The Exorcist", some going as far as to completely ignore The Exorcist part II: The Heretic from even being considered part of the franchise.

I was actually lucky enough to find a VHS copy of this film at a yard sale when I was in the hype of searching for part two with my friend. We tried to hold out on watching it till we had seen the second movie but the longest we could go for was about two days before we hunkered down with a bowl of popcorn and tossed the tape into the VCR.

I preferred this version as a "sequel" much more than The Heretic. It was well written, the story was fun to follow and you even get a small, very small appearance by one Samuel L. Jackson, which is always nice. I have also always been keen on the character of Lt. William Kinderman which may also be a reason why I enjoyed this film so thoroughly.

The ending was the biggest thing that got me loving this movie. It worked out so perfectly that you can't think of this movie as anything but the direct sequel to the exorcist in my opinion.

A great watch, amazing murder scenes and a killer ending makes me give this a 7 out of 10.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, e-mail or follow us on twitter!

Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment