Thursday, January 15, 2015

Book Review: Kristopher Rufty's Jagger

While racing against time, a man is forced to kidnap a large breed dog in order to use it to win a dog fight and recoup money he has lost for a very dangerous man. But when desperate times call for desperate measures, Clayton finds out that he may have caused himself an even bigger problem.

CUJO ON STEROIDS! 

That is the best and simplest description I can give you of this book!

The opening chapter get's you hooked into the book immediately and keeps you reading for more thanks to a very great use of description to detail every little aspect of the different characters throughout the book as well as the environments the scene's are set in.

The last 3 chapters were amazing and the ending was awesome. I thought I had this novel figured out after the second chapter but Rufty kept the surprises coming which kept me on my feet throughout most of the book.

Otherwise, I had two slight issues with it which both ended up being resolved prior to the ending of the book, one being that I could not get into the characters until it seemed like it was too far into the book. With the exception of the character of Janice and her son, I was not a fan of anybody till about 70% into the book. After that point in time I felt like I was better able to connect to most of them but it still felt like it may have been too late.

The other issue that I had was I noticed a lot of repetition in the middle of the book which slowed down the momentum for me. But, once again, it picked itself back and and finished strong which I enjoyed thoroughly.    

I am looking forward to reading more of his work and hope to eventually check out some of his film contributions as well

With that being said I will be giving Jagger a 7 out of 10.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, e-mail or follow us on twitter

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment