Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Last House On Cemetery Lane

Directed by: Andrew Jones

Written by: Andrew Jones

Year Released: 2015

Sub Genre: Ghost Story / Haunted House

Cast: Vivien Bridson, Lee Bane, Georgina Blackledge


John Davies, a horror film screenwriter, finds a rental ad for a summer home in the country. He is reluctant to take it at first due to a tenant living in the attic, something that was unmentioned in the ad. He eventually decides to take the home and quickly gets to work.

Soon enough, strange things start happening in the house which makes John question his own sanity.

First thing I must make mention too is the profession chosen by the writer for his main protagonist. Being a horror screenwriter and making your lead character the same thing hits a little too close to home if you ask me. But, predictably, it works out in the long run for the story.

I was quickly annoyed with how music is used throughout the film and how loud it was compared to everything else. Best example would be when the stereo in the house starts to play.

There were a lot of unusual camera angles and close ups used which gives the film an art house feel at times but more often than not it will give you a headache or nausea thanks to the continuous shaking of the camera. I did, at one point, believe that the shaking represented something specific but I quickly realized it was just a bad choice made by someone on set.

Now, I'm not a professional videographer by any means but if you're going to do something like this, I believe a stand or tripod would have been an excellent choice while filming.

While creepy and messed up things keep happening over and over in the house, John does not, even once, contemplate leaving the house. I would have been out of there after the second incident occurred.

Conclusion

With the shaky camera work nauseating me, the music being slightly annoying and a fight scene with incredibly poor choreography, you would imagine that my rating would be a zero thanks to this but the story line actually very good as was the dialogue. In fact, it is better than most films I've seen as of late. Had this movie been able to secure a larger budget, I feel as if it would have been a superb film.

If you get the opportunity, I would suggest that you check this one out.

4 out of 10.


Twitter:      @horrorshoot
InstaGram: @horrorshoot
E-Mail:       horrorshootreviews@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment